Connecting the head and the heart – that’s the essence of Head/Heart Therapy. Often, people can logically understand insights uncovered through therapy (that’s the head part), but they struggle to make necessary changes in their lives (that’s what comes from the heart). At Head/Heart Therapy, our goal is to support you in translating what your head understands so that your heart is able to act in alignment; all while treating you as the unique individual you are.
These are the overarching values that guide our work at Head/Heart:
- We are committed to doing our own self-work. We believe that in order to support our clients’ healing, we must bring curiosity and compassion to our own healing process.
- We work from a liberation-focused orientation: we welcome clients from all cultural backgrounds, we believe in being actively anti racist in our practice and strive to decolonize therapy in our field at large and in our work with clients.
- We celebrate the rainbow: we welcome clients of all sexual orientations, gender expressions, sexual practices, and relationship structures.
- We believe addiction is born out of trauma: we attend to clients’ root trauma to support holistic recovery.
- We believe in therapies of depth: there is no quick fix to the ailments of the human condition, but through long term therapy relationships, clients can address foundational issues to heal troubling symptoms.
Our practice offers an eclectic array of methods including: NARM (NeuroAffective Relational Model), liberation-focused therapy, mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR), shame-resilience theory, somatic therapies, experiential therapies, Buddhist psychology, experiential therapies, strengths-based approaches, and yoga-informed psychotherapy.